- The promoter of the Competition is Intrepica Pty Ltd (ABN 44 128 896 980) of Suite 374/30, 514 Christine Avenue Robina QLD 4226 (“LiteracyPlanet”).
2. Eligible entrants
- Entry is only open to all schools with students in Years/Grades 1 to 9 (“Entrant”).
- Entrant scores can only be made up of scores by students who are in Entrant Year Levels 1 to 9 at the time of registration (“Students”).
- Employees (and their immediate families) of LiteracyPlanet and agencies associated with this Competition are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption).
- The promoter reserves the right to exclude any school on an individual basis. In this instance, the promoter will advise the appropriate contact at the school the reason for exclusion.
3. Competition dates
The Competition website is open for registration from 12.01am UTC on 6 March 2023 until 11.59pm UTC 22 April 2023 (“Warm Up Period”). Once registered, Students can access the practice game. Warm Up Round scores will not be used to contribute to an Entrant’s scores during the Competition Round. Entrants may register following the conclusion of the Warm Up Period, until 23 April 2023 (Warm Up Round closing date) and may participate in the Competition from the time of registration onwards.
The Competition will be held as follows:
- Warm-Up Round will be open to all eligible Entrants from 12.01am UTC 6 March 2023 to 11.59pm UTC 22 April 2023 (“Warm Up Round”).
- Competition Round will be open to all Entrants from 12.01am UTC 2 May 2023 to 11.59pm UTC 5 May 11.59pm (“Competition Round”).
4. How to enter the competition
The competition is a game of skill. To be eligible to win, an Entrant must:
- Have a LiteracyPlanet account or register at www.literacyplanet.com/discover/wm2023/ (“website”) during the Competition (refer to ‘Competition Dates’).
- Have a minimum of one (1) teacher and five (5) Students from the same year level with LiteracyPlanet accounts during the Competition.
- Be in Entrant Year/Grade Levels 1 to 9 at the time of the Competition.
- Participate by logging on to the Website or through the Word Mania App and specifying a unique login and password combination, and following the prompts.
- Be registered by their correct Year/Grade Level.
A Student must not share their account with other students. Only the named Student registered with their correct Year/Grade Level is permitted to use their account to participate in the Competition.
Students may access the Website and the Game through any compatible computer or device with an internet connection, at home or at the Entrant’s school. Supported devices are iPhone SE/6 or above running iOS 9.1 or above; iPad 3 or iPad Mini 2 or above running iOS 9.1 or above; Android 4.4 or above with a 720p screen or higher resolution; Google Chrome (recommended), Safari (MacOS 11), Microsoft Edge (Chromium version).
There is no fee to enter the Competition.
5. How to win the competition
- The competition is an online word building challenge. A software program on the Website generates a random combination of 15 letters in a randomised format, which presents as a word puzzle known as “Word Mania”. Word Mania is owned and operated by LiteracyPlanet. Students are required to create as many words as they can in a three-minute time frame from the letters that are generated (“Game”).
2. Students will be scored for each valid word created. To ensure fairness score generation is automated. Students score points based on four criteria:
- The correct spelling of words;
- The length of each word;
- The complexity of the word; and
- The number of valid words created consecutively within a time period.
3. When a Student submits a word through Word Mania, the word is referenced against a modified version of the Open Source Australian-English Spelling Dictionary based on MySpell to verify its accuracy. LiteracyPlanet has also generated a list of words that are considered profane/inappropriate. These are excluded from use in the Competition (“Profanity”). Please contact LiteracyPlanet if you wish to view the list of Profanities. If a word is not found in the dictionary, or the word is a Profanity, that word is excluded from the Competition and will not count towards the Entrant’s overall Score (“Excluded Word”).
4. The software program automatically calculates the total points earned by a Student for all valid words at the conclusion of each Game to generate the Student’s score per Game (“Score”).
5. The average number of games completed per Student in each Round (where at least 10 games have been completed) will determine the Entrant’s ranking for that year level in that Round (“Round Rank”). The three entrants that score the highest score in the Warm Up Round will be that year level’s regional winner for that Round (“Warm Up Round Winner”).
6. The sum of the highest fifty (50) Scores out of all Games played by Students from one year level for an Entrant during the Competition Rounds will be used to calculate the Entrant’s score for that year level (“Score”). No more than 10 scores can come from a single Student. The Entrant with the highest score will be that year level’s winner (“Winner”). In the event of a tie, LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
7. The Entrant with the highest Score in their region for their year level will be that year level’s regional winner (“Winner”) and a Finalist eligible to compete in the Final Round (“Final Round”). In the event of a tie, LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
8. The sum of the highest fifty (50) Scores out of all Games played by Students from one year level for an Entrant during the Final Competition Round will be used to calculate the Entrant’s final score for that year level (“Final Score”). No more than 10 final scores can come from a single Student. In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
9. There are nine (9) Winners for the Competition (“Winners”). The Entrant year levels that generate the highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Game Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student) are the Year Level Winners and will be named the “LiteracyPlanet Word Mania 2023 Year X Winner”. In the event of a tie, LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
10. There are nine (9) second place winners (“First Runner-up”). The Entrant year levels that generate the second-highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student), are the First Runners-up. In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
11. There are nine (9) third-place winners (“Second Runner-up”). The Entrant year levels that generate the third-highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student), are the Second Runner-up. In the event of a tie, LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
12. All results are subject to moderation by LiteracyPlanet.
13. Warm Up Round Winners will be notified by LiteracyPlanet by email on the first business day following that Round and published on the Website and all affiliate websites.
14. Finalists will be notified by LiteracyPlanet by email on 19 May 2023 and published on the website.
15. Presentation of Winner and Runner-up prizes may take place at the Entrants school locations during May, June and July in 2023.
16. All other prizes will be delivered via email.
- Entrants can win a variety of prizes.
- Nine (9) Final Round Winners in each of four (4) regions (Australia & New Zealand, United Kingdom, Americas and the rest of the world) will receive up to a $3,000 AUD LiteracyPlanet subscription voucher which can be redeemed within the year, at a total estimated value of $108,000 AUD.
The $3,000 AUD LiteracyPlanet voucher equates to 1 year worth of a LiteracyPlanet Subscription.
- Nine (9) Final Round Winners in each of four (4) regions (Australia & New Zealand, United Kingdom, Americas and the rest of the world) will also receive a voucher for school resources worth up to $500 AUD, at a total estimated value of $18,000 AUD.
- Nine (9) First Runners Up Winners (2nd Place in the Final Round) in each of four (4) regions (Australia & New Zealand, United Kingdom, Americas and the rest of the world) will receive up to a $1,500 AUD LiteracyPlanet subscription voucher which can be redeemed within the year, at a total estimated value of $54,000 AUD.
The $1,500 AUD LiteracyPlanet voucher equates to 6 months worth of a LiteracyPlanet Subscription.
- Nine (9) Second Runners Up Winners (3rd Place in the Final Round) in each of four (4) regions (Australia & New Zealand, United Kingdom, Americas and the rest of the world) will receive up to a $750 AUD LiteracyPlanet subscription voucher which can be redeemed within the year, at a total estimated value of $27,000 AUD.
The $750 AUD LiteracyPlanet voucher equates to 3 months worth of a LiteracyPlanet Subscription.
- Prizes are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.
7. Advertising and links to other websites
- The website may contain links to third party sites (“Linked Site”). Linked Sites are not under our control and we are not responsible for the content of any Linked Site or any hyperlink contained in a Linked Site (“Subsequent Site”). We provide these hyperlinks to you as a convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the Linked Site by us or by our directors, officers, agents, employees, and contractors. You link to any Linked Site or Subsequent Site entirely at your own risk.
- Neither we nor our directors, officers, agents, employees and contractors give any representation or warranty as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of any Linked Sites or Subsequent Sites, nor do we or they accept any responsibility arising in any way (including negligence) for errors in, or omissions from any Linked Sites or Subsequent Sites.
- When Entrants enter the Competition, Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for the content they submit. LiteracyPlanet shall not be liable in any way for such content to the full extent permitted by law. LiteracyPlanet may remove any content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
- they will not submit any content that is defamatory, obscene, derogatory, unlawful or fraudulent, or that LiteracyPlanet may deem is in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children aged under 15, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
- their content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity; and they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others’ computer or communication systems. Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify LiteracyPlanet for any breach of the above terms.
- This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- In the event of war, terrorism, state of emergency or disaster, LiteracyPlanet reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition or suspend or modify a prize.
- Incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. This includes entries generated under accounts that are not linked to a valid teacher email address.
- This competition is completely unsupervised and relies on Entrants’ honesty in undertaking the Competition, using Students’ own skill and natural ability. LiteracyPlanet has the discretion to disqualify any Entrant that LiteracyPlanet reasonably suspects in its opinion has received assistance from any person to compete in the Competition or complete any Games. LiteracyPlanet reserves the right to require a Student to undertake a series of Games in the presence of a LiteracyPlanet authorised representative to verify that the Entrant has participated in the Competition without assistance from any other person before that Entrant is awarded a prize in connection with the Competition. If LiteracyPlanet determines that a Student has competed in the Competition with assistance and disqualifies that Student (“Disqualified Student”), any score that Disqualified Student has generated will be disregarded.
Teachers for each Entrant:
The teacher of each participating Student agrees to indemnify LiteracyPlanet against:
- any claims made by the Student against LiteracyPlanet or its affiliates in connection with the Competition or the Student’s participation in the Competition; and
If there is a dispute as to the identity of a Student, LiteracyPlanet reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the Entrant.
LiteracyPlanet’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
If for any reason a winner does not take a prize (or an element of the prize) by the time stipulated by LiteracyPlanet, then the prize (or that element of the prize) will be forfeited.
If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, LiteracyPlanet, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to equal value and/or specification.
The total prize pool value is AUD$207,000 (£103,500/US$138,600).
Prizes, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash unless otherwise specified.
Entrants consent to LiteracyPlanet and its promotional affiliates including related entities, using the Entrant’s Game entries, name, likeness, image and/or voice (including photographs, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the Competition (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by LiteracyPlanet.
If the Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of LiteracyPlanet, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud,
LiteracyPlanet reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any Entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
Any cost associated with accessing the Website is the Entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
The laws of Queensland, Australia apply to this Competition to the exclusion of any other law. Entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Queensland, Australia.